For far too long, Big Pharma and Big Oil have put profits ahead of people. When that happens, we all lose – no matter what we look like or how much money we have in our wallets. But a year ago next month, the government took a big step toward holding corporations accountable and putting people first. The Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), signed by President Biden, is powering our communities with clean energy; creating good-paying, union jobs; and lowering our healthcare costs.
The IRA provides tangible, real-life benefits for folks across the country -- but too many Americans haven’t heard about this powerful legislation, or have heard the disinformation being spread by some Republicans in Congress who want to downplay its massive benefits for political reasons.
That’s why Indivisible Civics launched our Powering Progress program nationally last week, with hundreds of Indivisibles joining this new campaign that celebrates the IRA, pushes back on the divide-and-conquer politics that are undermining its success, and shows how an active and inclusive government can work for everyone -- when we have leaders who care about governing.
We’d love it if you would join us.
Here are some ways you can get involved, and stay up-to-date on Powering Progress and our work to publicize the benefits of the IRA:
- Host a Celebration event in August. The IRA’s first anniversary is in August 2023, which is an exciting and important time to spread the word about the IRA’s tangible impacts and celebrate how an active and inclusive government can deliver for us all. These anniversary events are one of our best shots at doing so because they’ll be timely (which means more press and public attention with the hook of the anniversary!) and positive (who doesn’t love a party?). And we’ve got a ton of goodies we’re giving to help you plan your event: reimbursements, an event-in-a-box with all the supplies you need for an MOC or community tabling event to make your planning easier and your event fun and paid ads. There are plenty of boxes and ads left for groups to take advantage of after they register events!
- Read through and bookmark our Powering Progress Celebration Toolkit. In this toolkit, you will find more information on our strategies, why the IRA is so important, more detailed instructions on how you and your groups can get involved, and more! Once you’ve read through it, make sure to send the toolkit to a friend so they can get involved too.
- Write a Letter to the Editor. Letters to the editor (LTE) are a great way to share the benefits the IRA is making in all our lives with a wider audience, and the IRA anniversary in August makes for a timely hook, which increases the chance it gets published. So get them to your local paper in August!
- Join the Truth Brigade to throw a meaningful wrench into the democracy-destroying lie machine spreading disinformation on government spending and clean energy online. Indivisible’s Truth Brigade disrupts the flow of disinformation and misinformation online and offline by strategically writing and sharing powerful, personal, and unified counter-messages to the most damaging and destabilizing lies.
- Lastly, attend our Race Class Narrative Zoom session on August 2 at 8pm EST. The right regularly uses racial fear as a tool to exploit economic anxieties and turn people against one another. The Race Class Narrative messaging architecture fights back at these attacks and racial dog whistles. Join our Zoom to learn how to use Race Class Narrative messaging in your work – including but not limited to actions supporting the August celebration of the Inflation Reduction Act.
Every household in America will benefit from the progress of the IRA. Whether it’s ushering in a clean energy future; creating millions of good-paying, union jobs; or keeping money in the pockets of our hard working families, this administration is providing the investments necessary for us to build a better future for generations to come.
That’s why there’s never been a better time to get involved and show your support. Commit to do what you can to spread the good news about the IRA with others. We can’t do all this work without you.
P.S. If you agree that we need to do more to shine a light on how President Biden's IRA is making a difference in people's lives, we hope you'll consider helping us fund that effort. Chip in $10 today to shine a light on how President Biden's IRA is making a difference in people's lives.